Preparation – Success in the business world is not about who is the smartest; it is not about who has the best funding or resources; many successful businesses started in garages, dining rooms, and the boots of cars. The single greatest influence on who achieves success in the business is preparation. The more prepared you are to confront the many challenges of corporate life, the more successful you will be.
Preparation is the foundation of all business successes. This preparation involves six important areas:
1) Essential information (e.g., goals, plans, strategies)
2) Task-specific knowledge and skills (e.g., R&D, finance, sales)
3) Crucial resources and tools (e.g., experts, computer programs, data systems)
4) Psychological and emotional capabilities (e.g., determination, confidence, resilience)
5) Interpersonal skills (e.g., leadership, empathy, assertiveness, communication, inspiration, decisiveness)
6) Physical health (e.g., illness free, rested, well nourished, fit)
Three essential qualities necessary for business preparation and success are patience, persistence and perseverance. Preparation takes time and you will experience many bumps along the road to Prime Business. Patience ensures that you realize that there are no shortcuts or easy roads to success. Persistence will get you to keep grinding away when you are tired, stressed, and bored. Perseverance will enable you to stay motivated and positive in the face of the inevitable obstacles and setbacks you will experience.
Remember – Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance.